Saturday 13 June 2009

Pruning Bush Varieties

I love growing bush varieties for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is that you get branches growing in all directions and countless clusters of flower buds that make pruning a plant a complicated series of decisions ... should I remove them or not?!

My wife thinks that I should get out more often and experience the world that exists beyond our garden, and the tomato plants I love so dearly, but I am happiest when I'm pruning my favourite bush varieties which this season have increased in number.

The problem is, at this time of the season, bush varieties can produce hundreds of flower clusters and potentially thousands of tomatoes from one plant, which is of course unrealistic!


I like to remove some of the small flower clusters if a plant already has advanced flowers and some that have set in order to give the most advanced flowers a boost.


It is true in my experience that the more flowers a plant produces, the longer it takes for them to set and produce mature tomatoes.

Always pleased to hear from anyone by email if you have a comment, question or would just like to say hello. email me here

The website has a lot more info. www.tomatogrowing.co.uk

No comments: