Wednesday 11 June 2008

The Problem With Peat

This season I set out to compare peat based compost with peat free and I have been very impressed with the peat free compost I bought and how well it retains moisture in containers such as large pots.

On the other hand, the peat based compost seems to shrink more quickly and dry out faster in hot conditions than the peat free compost.

My tomato plants seem just as happy in the peat free compost and I believe that the possibility of Blossom End Rot is more likely from the peat based compost.

The problem is that mining peat for compost destroys wildlife, and some plants and animals who live in peat bogs, are now close to extinction.

I believe that peat free compost gives results that are as good as, and sometimes better than peat.

No comments: